Utpanna Ekadashi – Rituals and Significance
Updates on Monthly Spiritual Events
Rare and interesting facts about Hinduism
Interesting Articles on Hinduism
When is Utpanna Ekadashi?
Utpanna ekadasi is observed on the Margashirsh month, Krishna Paksha, ekadasi thithi day. North Indians celebrate Utpanna ekadasi during the Margashirsh month and South Indians observe it during the Kartik month.
Devotees who wish to begin ekadasi fasting should start from the Utapanna ekadasi. This Ekadasi celebrates the victory of Lord Vishnu over the Asura ‘Mura’
Deities worshipped during Utpanna Ekadasi
Lord Vishnu and Maa Ekadasi.
- The fast on the Utpanna Ekadashi starts from the dawn of the ekadashi until the sunrise of ‘dwadashi’. Some people even start from vrat from the 10th day by eating only one ‘saatvik’ meal before sunset.
- On Utapanna Ekadashi eating rice, all forms of pulses and grains is prohibited for all.
- The devotees get up before sunrise on the day of Utpanna Ekadashi.
- Lord Krishna is worshipped on this day during the ‘Brahma Muhurat’.
- After finishing their morning rituals, devotees offer prayers to Mata Ekadashi and God Vishnu.
- Special Bhog and offerings are made to please the lord.
- Chanting Vedic mantra and devotional songs is considered auspicious on Utpanna Ekadashi.
- On the day of Utpanna Ekadashi, one must also offer donations to the Brahmins, poor and needy. The donations can be in the form of food, money, clothes or other essentials in life, according to one’s capacity.
As per the Bhavishyottara Purana devotees who observe Utpanna Ekadasi are liberated from his/her sins and attain moksha or salvation. It is believed they reach vaikunth directly after death.
It is also believed that the glory of the Utpanna Ekadashi is even more than donating 1000 cows in charity. The fast kept on Utpanna Ekadashi equals to fasting for the three main deities of Hinduism, namely, Brahma, Vishnu and Mahesh. Hence Hindu devotees observe the Utapanna Ekadashi vrat with full dedication and fervor.
Reach us to be a part of our whatsapp spiritual reminder group