Recipe for Nel pori Urundai
Karthigai deepam is the festival of lighting lamps or diyas on our house. Click here to know about Karthigai deepam in detail.
Karthigai deepam recipe – Nel pori Urundai
Preparation Time – 15 minutes
Cook Time – 15 minutes
Recipe Category – Snack
Recipe Cuisine -Indian
Makes – 15
Nel pori – 4 cups, levelled (approx.)
Jaggery, powdered – 1/2 cup, heaped
Dry ginger powder (optional) – 2 pinches
Dry coconut bits (optional) – 4 tblsp
Roasted Sesame seeds (optional) – 1 tblsp
Ealchi – 1 powdered
Ghee – 2 tsp
- The Nel pori is cleaned to remove the skin. If there are any loose skins in the pori, throw it away.
- Measure the pori and keepit aside.
- Cut koparai coconut to small bit and roast them in ghe along with some sesame seeds.
- Powder Jaggery and elachi and keep it aside.
- Switch on the stove and in a kadai heat quarter cup of water with the powder Jaggery.
- Heat the jaggery untill it dissolves completely.
- Remove all impurities and add dry ginger powder , elachi powder, coconut bits, sesame seeds.
- Heat the mixture untill a soft ball consistency is reached. (That is if you pour little syrup in water and gather with hands, you should be able to form a non sticky soft ball (uruttu padham). Switch off the flame)
- Add the Nel Pori little by little and stir well. After this you have to act quickly. or the mixture will cool down and stick to the pan.
- Grease your hands and make small balls out of the mixture. press softly but firmly to make it hold the structure.
- Choose dark coloured jaggery for this, white ones may not yield good results.
- At last, the pori will stick to the pan, just heat it up a bit to loosen it and make use of it until the last pori.
- Make sure you reach soft ball consistency, otherwise balls wont hold its shape. Do the syrup in medium flame.
- Follow the same method for aval pori – you can make your own aval pori by roasting aval, thick variety until it pops.
- Do not add more than required otherwise wont hold shape the next day. The above measurement is only approx, so add and mix if needed only add everything.
Reach us to be a part of our whatsapp spiritual reminder group